The ability to forgive comes from following God’s word.
Only God can teach you to forgive others from your heart.
God’s Heart For Forgiveness
- God commands that we forgive each other
- God wants us to forgive others because He forgives us
- God wants us to see unforgiveness as sin
- God wants us to get rid of unforgiveness before it makes us bitter
- God wants us to overcome evil with good
What Forgiveness IS
dismissing your demand that others owe you something, especially when they have failed to meet your expectations or failed to keep a promise or to treat you well.
setting someone free from the consequence of falling short of God’s perfect standard.
releasing your resentment toward your offender.
- Releasing your right to hear “I’m sorry”
- Releasing your right to be bitter
- Releasing your right to get even
- Releasing your right to hold on to the offense
- Releasing your right to keep bringing up the offense
How do you truly Forgive?
Forgiveness is not letting the guilty “off the hook.” It is moving the guilty from your hook onto God’s hook.
- Imagine right now that there is a sharp hook someone has attached to your collarbone. Imagine all the pain caused by that hook as the result of the wrong that was done to you by someone
- Ask yourself, “Do I really want to carry all that pain with me for the rest of my life? God wants you to take the pain in your life caused by the hurtful behavior of others and release it into His hands.”
- He wants you to be released from the hurt and pain by placing the person who hurt and offended you onto God’s hook. God knows how to deal with your offender. God says, “It is mine to avenge; I will repay.” Deuteronomy 32:35
Key to Remember:
Just as God is willing to forgive you, you are called to forgive others. The Bible tells us to “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgives.”
if you’d like someone to contact you by email